Tuesday, May 4, 2010

This sure makes up for Winter -

Woke to beautiful blue skies and low humidity, this day is already looking GOOD - we ended they day with a high of 78 and low humidity, another gorgeous New England day.

I ran out to get a picture of the morning sun highlighting the blossoms of my Adams Crabapple tree. It's buds start out a deep pink, almost a burgundy, then fade to medium pink and finally a light pink, as they age. I think in another day or two the blooms will be spent and start to fall. But it's sure been enjoyable while it's lasted!

I attacked the west side of the house and removed more leaves from FB#5, then cut back the burned stems and leaves of the Cawtaba Rhoho. Last winter this shrub burned and I wondered, could it be it's position? Now that it's happened two years in a row, I know it is definitely getting wind burn from being on the NW corner of the house. This fall I will have to do some sort of a burlap wrap, because it's really taking damage. Maybe even put a wax coating on the leaves.

After lunch I "finally" mowed the West side of the lower driveway, Tiers W2 & W3, for the first time this spring. This grass gets very little sun and grows slowly, but it was due. I also picked up the last of the sticks by the boulder area of this part of the yard.

I didn't get it mowed none too soon either, because a thunderstorm moved in shortly after. It carried enough of a punch that our lights blinked off/on a couple of times. We were in the high 70's when it hit, and after the storm went through it was in the 50's. I worried about hail . . . thank God we didn't get any.