Friday, May 28, 2010

I've "suffered" a set back in my planting schedule;

Sunny and nice, beautiful light breeze with a high of 77. Wow, has this been a wonderful spring, except for a few hot days thrown in, it's been off the charts. The down side is, it's really dry, we are way behind in precip totals to date.

I did my usual routine of watering in the morning. Then after lunch, I went out to finish the raking and trimming of the upper yard before I began mowing the lower yard. I didn't get very far however, maybe 10 minutes into the trim job, when I stupidly put my left hand in front of the power trimmer and just about cut the end of my ring finger off. The trimmer blade was lodged in the bone and I couldn't get it off, so I ran to the house to get Don to remove it. Not to be gross or anything, but I pretty much spotted up the front step with blood splatter.

Don rushed me to the ER and I spent the rest of they day getting x-rays and stitches. The good news is, I didn't chip, cut, or compress a bone, or cut a nerve ending that may have required surgery. The bad news is, they put stitches in the finger nail, yuck, and finger, and I now have this huge bandage on the finger, which makes it tough to get any gardening done, or to type this blog . . .

Not to be deterred, I am going to try and finish the trimming, raking, and mowing tomorrow; the biggest problem will be getting Don to let me.

After the ER we went for ice cream, yum! Moral of the story, don't stick your fingers in front of sharp objects, dah!