Friday, May 7, 2010

I'm in the home stretch now -

I just know we're going to pay for all these nice days, (the other shoe just has to drop), gorgeous yet again with a high of 69, wow!

I worked slow release fertilizer into the FFB (Forest Flower Bed) and got a little more than half the flowers done. After working the fertilizer in I spread slug bait. I hate too, because I worry about my Eastern Red-spotted Newts getting into it, so I only put it around the Hostas.

Unfortunately, something else is in love with my Hostas other than slugs, last year "it/they" ate the backs off of half of them. Of course Hosta leaves must look like a garden salad to rabbits, porcupines, or deer, it's hard to say which is the culprit. I'm going to try pepper spray and moth balls, I'll let you know if I stop them, better yet, if I catch them I'll report who was doing the dastardly deeds.

I only have 23 more to go in this flowerbed and I'm done for the year . . . ! Then it's just trying to keep up with the watering, and getting the new plants in the ground.

BTW, isn't my Newt just the cutest thing, they live under rocks and when you disturb them, they just slowly crawl away. The newt is a common salamander of eastern North America. Eastern newts dwell in wet forests with small lakes or ponds. I guess their skin secretes a poisonous substance when the newt is threatened or injured. They have a lifespan of 12 to 15 years in the wild, and may grow to 5 inches in length. Since I am surrounded by wetlands and creeks, I have them everywhere!