Thursday, May 27, 2010

It is starting to look and feel like summer -

Sunny and nice with a high of 79, a few clouds in the sky but not humid.

Unfortunately, the low front I was anxiously anticipating only brought a small amount of rain last night, so I spent half the morning watering. Then about 10:30 I was off to buy lawn products at John Deere Landscaping, and was I in for a rude awakening. As it turns out, the Manchester branch has a "good 'ole boys" network going. I waited 20 minutes while the manager helped other men who came in after me. I was stunned, he wouldn't even make eye contact with me. The put down was very uncomfortable, so I decided to leave, rather start an argument.

However, not heeding my own advice, while running a different errand I decided I wasn't about to let someone refuse to acknowledge me or help me because of my gender. So I went back, forced the manager to wait on me, and got the number of the branch manager. I'm hoping by calling someone higher in the "food chain", the next person may not have to go through the degradation I felt. If it weren't for the fact Lesco has an awesome product, I wouldn't go back. John Deere does have another location in Nashua, I may try there, but I hate the thought of giving in to pressure.

Oh well, enough on that subject. After I got home I mowed the upper yard taking half strips at a time. I did get half the yard raked and the back sidewalk trimmed before the blackflies chased me in, I'll finish raking and trimming tomorrow.

I hate to say it, but the yard really needs fertilizer, and because I waited a bit too long, the grass by the pond is getting a fungus. Now that I finally have the fertilizer, I'm hoping to get it applied either today or tomorrow.