Sunday, May 16, 2010

2010 has been the best Spring I've ever seen for NE!

Yet another gorgeous day; deep blue skies with a light breeze and low humidity. I think this spring is going to go down as one of our best ever. Ended the day with a high of 72.

Another shot from the deck looking up from my chair, this time looking towards the East. A few clouds in the sky today, just enough to add interest to the photo. When you click on the picture to enlarge it, the two large trees are; on the left is a Hickory, and on the right is an Oak. Between the acorns and hickory nuts, the squirrels are quite happy. We think the squirrels and birds rate our resort a 4 star.

Unfortunately, bears love hickory nuts too, and because we also have wild raspberries on the property, it's no wonder they come down to visit us. I can't wait to see how they like the blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, and apples, yikes!!! Will there be anything left for me?

I spent the entire morning watering flowerbeds. Then after lunch, Don and I spent the afternoon trying to get a fruit tree planted. We finally got it in the ground around 3:30, so it was really too late to start another planting project. I have to tell you, planting trees in NH, when you live on a rock shelf, takes on a whole new meaning.

After planting, I sprayed my fruit trees and shrubs with Organicide, which is an organic spray (organic because of my birds) for insects and fungus. Growing fruit is going to take a learning curve on my part, because it's all new to me. The fussiest tree by far is going to be the peach tree. It's why I knew I needed to find a fruit spray, it was already getting leaf curl.