Tuesday, May 18, 2010

"They're here" . . . Lunber Jack Logging!

It's cloudy today, and humid, with a high of 67. We're supposed to get rain tomorrow.

When I glanced out the front door look who I saw had stopped in for a snack. We have chipmunks everywhere! I have 1 living on the west side of the house foundation, 1 living in FB#1 in the rock wall, 1 living under the deck, and a really friendly chipmunk who lives under one of the finch feeders at the edge of the woods. He just stands under the feeder by his hole and looks at us. We're going to start taking peanuts out with us every morning and see if we can get him to eat out of our hand.

We had a population explosion when I was scattering seed for them under the feeders. I have since stopped, so many of the multitudes scattered, thank goodness.

Guess who also stopped in this morning, my loggers, ugh! First they marked the trees that need to be taken out from the February storm damage. Then to my dismay, they marked the trees that have to be taken out, in order for them to get their large machinery in and out.

Oh my . . . Don and I did not comprehend what having "loggers" all entailed. First there's the trees we lost because of the large equipment that had to get through. Then there's the trees we will loose because they tore too much bark off of them, and then there's the trees they accidentally took down. All in all, I would say we easily lost another 15 good trees we didn't need to loose, and TONS of little trees that would have replaced the downed trees, but they're gone too.

The picture to the left is of a LARGE back hoe they brought in to gather trees so the skid loader could grab the trees for hauling to the staging area.

I mowed the yard all afternoon to try and take my mind of the devastation to the property. After they left and Don finished up at work, we went to Lowes to buy 8" x 4' pre-formed, galvanized tin heating pipe pieces, and annealed wire.

We are a bit concerned to say the least. We think we will have to buy several 35 gallon hard maples to replant the forest. We are going to get a book on forestry techniques in order to maintain a good, healthy forest in the future.

I have no idea what the beast pictured to the right is called. It's about two stories tall, and the round silver thing in the picture is the blade. It has just cut a tree and it's huge claws that were holding it while being cut are placing the tree on the ground. You would not believe the ruts this machine's track leaves.

The guys working have been really nice, and do seem to care, it's just Don and I did not comprehend the magnitude of what we had signed on for.

The picture to the left is of a skid loader. After the trees have been cut down by chainsaw or mechanical methods, it drags the trees to a staging area. Here they cut the trees into manageable lengths to be loaded onto the logging truck, or to be run through the chipper and blown into semi trailers. You are only seeing half of the machine in this picture.

And anyone who knows me well, know how much I love trees. It's like a passion with me, and is why I moved to NH. I need to try and stay positive and believe with time, a lot of hard work, and yet more money, the property will be even better than before.