Monday, May 17, 2010

It's really getting dry, we need rain -

Another sunny day with a high of 76. I'd say gorgeous, but we are really starting to get dry, so rain would have been nice. Oh well, it was nice out, and I know I shouldn't complain. I spent another morning watering, and will do so again tomorrow morning. Next chance of rain is Wednesday . . .

I'm trying to decide what to do about my Bradford Flowering Pear tree, it's a hybrid from China. It's in FB#1, and is starting to concern me. It's supposed to get 30' tall and 20' wide, which is a little big for it's area . . . oops! I think I'm going to get a book on tree trimming and try to get it under control. If trimming doesn't work, it's either grub it out, or grab what root ball we can and cut it back severely, then replant it and see if it makes it. We'll see . . . .

In the meantime, Don and I can't seem to make up our minds where to plant all the fruit trees. About the time we think we've decided, we change our minds and start playing musical chairs with the trees again. I'm running out of planting time on the "fruits", so I'm going to have to make a decision and live with it I think.

I took a picture of a Korean Lilac in bloom in FB#1. It seems to do the best of all my lilacs. I think they like more moisture and shade than the nursery tells you. When you click on the picture, the shrub in bloom beside it is my Variegated Weigala, isn't it pretty? The two shrubs planted together complement each other quite well.