Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day -

Sunny, but raw and windy with a high of 51.

Don took me out for breakfast, then he graciously took me to a bunch of nurseries for Mother's Day. On our way out, look what we happened to see on our pond . . . Mrs. Mallard asleep, standing on a rock in the pond with her head tucked into her back feathers. We didn't even wake her when we took the picture! How sweet, this is the longest the honeymooners have ever stayed, maybe they'll actually nest here this year.

Now, onto our first stop of our Tour d' Nursery, Bedford Fields, where I found a 15 gallon Galaxy Magnolia tree, which gets 40' tall with a 25' diameter. I've always wanted a Magnolia tree, so Don bought me one for my birthday. It was too large for the car so we're having it delivered Monday. I did leave however, with a 3 gallon black-raspberry shrub to add to my fruit hedge.

Next stop was Amherst Nursery where we talked to the most knowledgeable nurseryman who was willing to take the time to talk, despite the Mother's Day crowd. While he didn't have the tree I was looking for, I will remember him next time I want nursery stock!

Onward we drove to Ponemah Farms Nursery, where I found the most beautiful, unique looking trees I've ever seen. Plus, their trees were bigger for the money. I will definitely be back here next year for an Autumn Flowering Cherry tree I've decided I just have to have. In the meantime, I bought 2 Lowbush Blueberry plants I hadn't found at any other nursery, yeah!

The next nursery was a little further away in Milford, but the Agway is always worth a trip, and this year they did not disappoint! I finally found my self-pollinating pear tree, its' a 10 gallon European Pear called Kieffer Dwarf, and sounds really good for eating from the tree and for canning. We were able to get this tree in the car, but I had to hold it in the back while resting the trunk on my knee.

(While checking out at the Agway, they handed me a basketful of flower seed packets and said I could choose one for free for Mother's Day, awe, how sweet. I chose blue Forget Me-Nots for my Forest Flower Bed, which is a shade garden.)

Feeling emboldened now, back to Bedford Fields we went to buy a 10 gallon Santa Rosa Plum tree. Only trouble is, we couldn't get it in the car, so we had to run home, empty the car, and come back.

In the left picture: tree on the right is the Santa Rosa Plum tree and the tree on the right is the Keiffer Pear tree. In the right picture: the tree on the left is the Cortland Apple tree, the tree in the middle is the Elberta Peach tree, and the tree on the right is the McIntosh Apple tree.

And to think, the BFB (Back Flower Bed), was "supposed" to be small and easy this year, ha! I just counted up the tally for this year's planting season, and it is as follows: 30 plants in the back, 3 new ones for the FFB, and 6 trees, good grief, someone got carried away :-).