Thursday, June 24, 2010

Wow, my very first homegrown fruit -

Sunny and hot with a high of 91.

I guess the heat is good for berries because I picked my first black raspberries this morning. They were pretty good by themselves, but would have been better on ice cream :-)

Another thing, I won't have to worry about the bear coming down and stealing my raspberries, blueberries and blackberries, because the kazillion of chipmunks in my garden will eat them first. The little rascals climb all over the branches and go straight for the ripest ones, how they know which is which is beyond me.

I also took a picture of my blackberry bush which just started to bloom. This shrub gets 6' wide by 8' wide, can you imagine how pretty it must be when it matures and is in full bloom?

Okay, maybe with 2 blackberry bushes that large there may be some berries left over for the bear and me.