Monday, June 14, 2010

The Spirea are really putting on a show . . .

Mostly sunny with a few clouds in the morning, high of 78.

The Little Princess Spirea are in full bloom and are quite pretty. Unlike their cousins the Goldmound Sprirea that have turned into monsters in the front, the Little Princess are still very dainty.

Unfortunately, I have 9 of the Goldmound Spirea to cut back in about 30 days, and I don't mind saying I'm not looking forward to the job. But, they are very pretty right now . . . .

The Stella d'Oros are really budding this week so they should be in bloom sometime next week. They too will be a chore to deadhead or cut back, but are also worth the effort.

While I did get 5 cubic yards of premium mulch delivered, I only got about 1/3 of it spread. While most of the front beds are almost entirely without mulch, at least FB#5 now has mulch. I hate to say it, but I'll be lucky to get the rest of the mulch spread this fall in the BFB when we're done planting.

Oh well, as Scarlet would say, "there's always tomorrow", or in my case, "there's always next spring," and with each new spring comes renewed hope for the perpetual gardener.