Saturday, June 26, 2010

My pink, I mean blue, Hydrangeas are blooming ;-)

Gorgeous day, high of 82. I planted pink Hydrangeas and wanted pink Hydrangeas, what happend?

Most gardeners want blue hydrangeas and usually buy the Nikko blue variety, then go to extra lengths to ensure they get blue with a ph balancing fertilizer. I guess it's the loam and peat moss I used, because I used nothing special.

If I were honest, I would admit I love the blue, even though I didn't think I would. The blue really sets off the pink Astilbes. Some of the Hydrangeas are multi-colored which I also think is very pretty. Also, I'll bet if I tried to duplicate this process in another bed, I'd get different results!

This picture shows one of my multi-colored hydrangeas just "starting" to bloom, which I think is almost prettier than a full headed bloom. This hydrangea obviously loves where it's planted, from the very first this one came up early and set a lot of heads. It gets sun in the afternoon for about 2.5 hours, which isn't what the grower recommended. But it's where I had a spot for one so that's where it went.

It just goes to show flowers are more versatile and forgiving than one would think . . . thank God.