Thursday, July 1, 2010

Wow, another gorgeous day!

Sunny and nice with a high of 71; is it really almost July?

Today we decided the last fruit tree was going in the ground . . . eventually. The last fruit tree turned out to be the hardest fruit tree as we hit nothing but rock shelf. We had to move the hole 3 times, and I fear we still didn't give it as large a hole as it needs. Especially since this fruit tree, a Santa Rosa Plum, gets 15' high by 15 wide'. It's supposed to be a heavy producer and pretty hardy for our area, I guess only time will tell.

The first 2 to 3 years we are supposed to pick the blossoms off the fruit trees as they bloom, to help create bigger, healthier, root balls. I think I may have the will power to do this for one year, since I am soooo anxious to see them all in bloom. I never thought of this before now, what if my better half is allergic to their pollen, ack!

As the trees mature, I'm hoping the leaves and blossoms will help break up and soften the rock shelf that sits behind the orchard. Not only will this give us something more appealing to view as we sit on the deck or patio, but maybe we'll see some fruit loving birds to view as well :-)