Saturday, July 31, 2010

Those turkeys!!

Another gorgeous day thanks to the cold front that moved through, sunny with a high of 78.

Earlier in my blog I shared a picture of a turkey dusting itself. I have to wonder if this is the same turkey that now visits with two babies in tow. I can't believe how fast they are growing. We started feeding them corn, and they have since become permanent residents.

We have a pile of loam in the woods we use for planting purposes, and because it's been so dry, mom's been teaching the babies how to dust themselves. One baby in particular has really taken to dust baths and scratching. Which is kind of funny to watch, because the dirt doesn't always go where it should, and the scratching usually covers more seed than uncovers.

Something else we didn't know about birds until we moved here, birds love to sun themselves. All of them do this, and I can only guess we see it here because of the natural habitat which makes the birds feel safe. The baby turkey who loves to take dust baths, also likes to sun itself afterwards.

Sometimes I feel like I'm running a resort. Between the food, lodging and spirits (fresh water), what more could a bird ask for.